Thursday 18 May 2023

Been a long time since I put key to screen. A lot of death and grief. Life has got better recently. 







After having to abandon a PhD and stop accepting dome work to look after ageing P's, I ended up feeling rudderless. I came into a bit of cash through a PPI payout - I set myself the goal of buying a boat, getting a nice guitar and sorting out my recording studio. I did achieve all 3. Took me 2ish years. Things were pondered over, things were bought, things were sold. I made good use of the money.These were distractions really, or therapy if you're being generous.

Ultimately, I had to get out and find gameful employment, and a direction in life. I started looking for work. A flirted with breweing, did a bit of pen-testing - apllied for a handful of technical jobs. One morning I found a job advertised with an audio company - the description seemed to mostly fit what I knew, and I was just deperate enough to apply. After quite a tough set of interviews I got the job. I've been there for best pat of 2 years. I couldn't have imagined what a good the role would be for me. I say 'there' - because I work remotely - partly due to starting during COVID, and partly through their location - but that is part of the 'fit'.

And home has recently changed - got out of renting, after being menaced by an aquaitance of the landlord - bought a cottage out in the sticks with view over the bit of water I sail badly on. Room for all the instruments and audio kit I've accumlated. Justified now as a place to put the, even more, audio kit my employer has to send me. 

Some of the melancholic outpourings from this period are up on Bandcamp. They're not amazing, I kind of had to learn how to listen to music again - It was such an artificial dose of emotion. I had to start out with artists like Alessando Cortini and Abul Mogard - so that's why this stuff sounds the way it does

It does me good to record the things I'm up to somewhere - feels right to contue here. Brain dump incoming...