Sunday 2 May 2010

Dome Volumetric Fruit Fly





We've received some DICOM data from a University in Austria - in connection with a project for the Biology department. A Drosophila fruit fly. I've just managed to get a path from the raw DICOM files into OSG. I had to compile OSG myself to get support for 'dcmtk'. I also had to use the '--mip' flag before I saw anything. I then modified our osgdomeviewer to accept the DICOM data and render a 180°x135° truncated fisheye. It worked...but I was only getting 2-6 fps. On a hunch, I checked out a new nVidia driver for my card. Up until now, it had been recognised as a GT230, rather than GT240 - and it had a tantalising 1700MHz mode greyed out. The driver upgrade brought the fps up into the 20s - not bad for a £59 GPU...

I'd like to put a nice mask over the image - same as I do with my Panda3D based dome applications, but C++ is so verbose...