Sunday 11 October 2009

interlace...

I've just got an old Miro DC30plus card going under Linux



- I need a better TV, but don't want to buy a dedicated one.
I had to put 'options zr36067 card=3' into '/etc/modprobe/local.conf' to get it recognised properly. Once it was working I found I was getting jerky video. A bit of sniffing around with mplayer and I discovered that I have interlaced, bottom field first video coming in off the card. I started playing with a few de-interlacers - then discovered yadif - I realised that in one of modes you can set it to produce a complete frame from each of the interlaced fields - coupled with a framerate of 50fps (double 25fps for PAL) I can playback interlaced video on a progressive video display, without actually using a deinterlacer, in effect you perception is doing the deinterlacing - same as an interlaced TV.

This got me thinking about an interview I read with James Cameron. He was urging Hollywood to move to 48fps (double the current 24fps-ish) - he was convinced that it doubled the perceived resolution, without quadrupling the size of you production and delivery pipeline...

We're running 30fps movies in our dome on 60Hz projectors - like most domes do, I've decided to try some experiments with my new friend 'Yadif', see what happens it I run 60fps interlaced on them....

Posted by Picasa